About My Blog

About My Blog
This blog will be all things spooky and about the dead. It will mostly contain information about graveyards, the history, and details of it all. Hope you enjoy it like I do!

Monday, April 15, 2019

The Impeccable Beauty That is Magnolia Cemetery

The First Sight of Magnolia Cemetery  
The class took a risk, of getting into strangers cars to get to Magnolia cemetery, just to find out the risk was completely worth it. As the class approached the location of the infamous Magnolia Cemetery, I looked around and saw many plots of land with graves in them.

I was suddenly confused, wondering which one was Magnolia Cemetery. I learned that they were all apart of Magnolia Cemetery. As the car came to a stop I looked out my window to find a beautiful iron gate.

As the class enters the gate, I saw a sign that has the name of a road on it. This is very unique compared to the other cemeteries the class has been to. As you look at all the graves around you, you see graves until you hit the horizon, almost as if they were never-ending.

I think my first impression was that this cemetery is very unique in the way that the graves are all mostly older but are very well kept up with. I thought it was astonishing that there is a 150-acre cemetery near downtown Charleston.

As the class stood in amazement at the endless amount of graves, Mr. Harwood informed the class, "The cemetery opened in 1850 and since then 3,300 plus people have been buried here".
The Pinckney Family Plot

I think the graves are very well laid out in the way that most of the families are in a plot together and many of the families buried here are Charleston names such as the Rhett family, Pinckney, and others.

The Rhett family's plot has an iron gate around their plot. Most of the graves in their plot were either cradle graves or die on sockets that are personalized with designs on them.

Many of the family plots at Magnolia have this thick stone outlining their plot of land. The graves inside of the plot are different among each family. They all differ just a little bit if not a lot.

This is one of my favorite monuments at Magnolia. Camilla Scott Pinckney lies under this pedestal tomb.  I love the big cross, the grass, and Easter lilies that are inside the middle of the cross symbolizing purity, salvation, and the soul's resurrection.
One of the Many Ponds in Magnolia Cemetery

The Ponds that are scattered throughout the many acres of Magnolia Cemetery only make it more beautiful and give it a feeling of peace. All of the plots of graves in this cemetery are uniquely beautiful but the ones overlooking the water are truly distinctive.

They have an elegantly beautiful look causing you to feel calm when looking at them. The trees and water, calm the soul and genuinely make the experience of walking through this cemetery more than enjoyable.

The Lipinski Family Mausoleum 
This mausoleum is where Henry and Harriet Lipinski lie. This is a newer mausoleum that was made in 1983 when Henry died; his wife did not die until 2004. This mausoleum might be my favorite monument in Magnolia.

The brown glossy exterior makes it look mesmerizing. The stain glass windows (not pictured) are just beautiful. They are showing off their money a great deal by building this, but it is so elegant and beautiful to look at and admire.

It looks like a new building that was built with the structure of a church in Charleston. I think it would be calming to sit down and read a book or enjoy the view of this astonishing mausoleum because the chances are you will never see something like this again.

It is very rare and unique that it is probably custom built and was specifically made for their family.


War Dead at Magnolia Cemetery
I think the Plot of land is one of my other favorites from Magnolia Cemetery. It is sad to think that this many people died and cannot be buried with their families.

I do think that this is a great way to memorialize them and how they sacrificed their lives. Magnolia made this plot of land beautiful for them by adding the cannons, flags, and the soldier on top of the Pedestal tomb.

This is a reminder of the lives lost in the fight for freedom.

The Class at Magnolia Cemetery


Magnolia was indisputably one of the most fascinating cemeteries I have ever been to. I would definitely recommend Magnolia to anyone. It exceeded all the expectations I had about the cemetery and set new standards for what more cemeteries should look like. My whole class enjoyed it and it was definitely worth the trip!


No comments:

Post a Comment